10 Questions to ask a KJ before you hire them
1. Have you commited yourself to follow the AKH Code of Professional Conduct?
Any responsible business owner will be committed to living by the AKH code of Professional Conduct.
This is just one of the commitments that legitimate entertainment companies will make to you.
2. Are you insured? Can you supply me with proof of liability?
Many responsible business owners carry liability insurance to protect their businesses and the consumer. Many locations are beginning to require proof of liability. Ask for proof of liability insurance. Karaoke Hosts receive a Certificate of Liability which can be used as proof.
3. Will you be willing to play requests and discuss music ahead of time?
A versatile karaokee Host is willing to listen to your suggestions, give you feedback and play from your desired song list. A professional Karaoke Host will also accept the fact you may not want certain songs played. A professional Karaoke Host cannot know everything about your musical preferences and entertainment needs without communication.
4. Do you use Professional Equipment?
Ask whether your prospective Karaoke Host works with professional audio equipment. If you are not sure, ask for their equipment list and check with a local music dealer or the AKH. to verify they are using professional-grade sound gear. Remember that professional gear does not guarantee an entertainer’s talent or service level, but is simply a tool for building an exceptional event.
5. Do you provide backup equipment at my event?
Although equipment failure is rare, do you really want your special occasion ruined because your Karaoke Host did not come prepared? It is also important to know if your Karaoke Host has a back-up plan in case of illness or an accident. Members of the AKH. have many resources available to them in case of an emergency. You may also reach our Hotline number to get a Karaoke Host when you have an emergency. The toll-free number is 888-723-5776.
Booking a reliable Karaoke Host is a very important decision for the success of your party. Selecting a Karaoke Host who is an active member of the American Karaoke Host Association will provide you with the confidence that you have selected a trained professional. AKH members are more likely to be involved with other Karaoke Hosts who can help them out with an unexpected situation.
6. Does the Karaoke Host know the proper etiquette for your type of party?
A professional Karaoke Host will assist you with the planning of yourevent. Most professional entertainers will coordinate, emcee and provide the music that you desire. Ask if they have experience with your type of event.
7. How much time do you allow for set-up?
Punctuality is a necessity. Most Karaoke Host’s arrive at least one hour prior to the start time you’ve given them. Your entertainer should ideally be setup and in-place before your first guest walks through the door.
8. Do you provide a written contract?
It is extremely important to have your booking confirmed in writing. Ask for a written agreement, especially if you are paying an initial retainer. The standard initial payment for entertainment services is 50%. If you are expecting a specific entertainer, make sure you get it in writing as well.
9. Will you be suitably dressed for our occasion?
Specify the type of apparel that your Karaoke Host is expected to wear for your occasion. Formal attire or coat & tie are the most popular forms of attire for formal events. If you are having a “themed” event, make sure your entertainer is informed.
10. Do you belong to a professional organization or trade group?
Although belonging to an organization or trade group does not guarantee the talent or professionalism of a Karaoke Host, it may indicate the companies willingness to network, learn and grow. Karaoke Hosts can learn through local chapter meetings, national conventions and seminars geared toward the entertainment professional.
Other Items to Note
Karaoke Host rates vary based on talent, experience, emcee ability, service, coordination, equipment needed, music knowledge, mixing ability and personality.
Rates for the KJ industry vary greatly, ranging from $350.00 to over $750.00 with an average of $500.00 for a 4 hour booking. The best price is not always the best deal, especially if you are planning a major event.
A full-service Karaoke Host company will normally invest several tes of hours into preparation & rehearsal for your special event but it may appear that you are only paying for “4 hours”. Consultations, music purchasing & editing, preparation, set-up and tear-down, education and other business related endeavors add up to the overall success of your special occasion.
Why AKH? All DJ listed on our site are committed to the following rules:
• Operate my business in an ethically sound manner while maintaining the highest standards of professional conduct.
• Abide by all laws and regulations governing my professional activities.
• Use legal forms of music and performance materials in the conduct of my entertainment services.
• Be honest and realistic in conveying my talent, abilities, and level of services to my clients.
• Deliver products and services to my clients, as promised, to the best of my abilities.
• Use a written contract clearly stating all charges, services, products, performance expectations and other essential information.
• Provide a safe work environment with adequate protection for my clients and their guests.
• Maintain adequate and appropriate insurance coverage for all business activities.